Here, you'll find a little bit of "this, that and the other thing!"
Please join!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER THING!
Welcome!
Here, you'll find a little bit of "this, that and the other thing!"
Please join!
THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER THING!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little bit of this, that and the other thing!

Latest topics

» It's not spring yet!
by Breezey Bree Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Death...dying, and my thoughts on it *part one*
by Breezey Bree Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:49 pm

» 12" Rechargeable Floor & Carpet Sweeper Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
by Breezey Bree Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:34 am

» Death...dying, and my thoughts on it *part two*
by Breezey Bree Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am

» Basic Waffles from Betty Crocker
by Breezey Bree Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:13 am

» AUDACITY!
by Breezey Bree Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 am

» Mamie Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge
by Breezey Bree Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:02 am

» I almost made a new account for Disqus...almost!
by Breezey Bree Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:01 am

» Happy Birthday, Breezey!
by Breezey Bree Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:59 am

» Christmas shopping and all that good stuff!
by Breezey Bree Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:11 am

» Newspapers and how it's all going more towards internet
by Breezey Bree Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:29 am

» Happy New Year!
by Breezey Bree Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:26 am

» Christmas 2023! Music and whatnot!
by Breezey Bree Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:34 am

» It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! 2023
by Breezey Bree Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:40 pm

» Is there a Grinch in your Christmas?
by KieranT Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:59 pm

» Creamy Sriracha Mayo
by Breezey Bree Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:43 am

» Dare to forgive
by Breezey Bree Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:41 am

» Cloisonne art (wire work)
by Breezey Bree Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:02 pm

» 12-Volt Rideamals Scout Pony Interactive Ride-On Toy by Kid Trax
by Breezey Bree Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:48 am

» Home made hard candy
by Breezey Bree Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:54 am

» One-Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken and Rice
by Breezey Bree Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:40 pm

» Disqus NEW and IMPROVED CHANNELS.... my thoughts
by Breezey Bree Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:28 pm

» The end of Disqus on this site
by Breezey Bree Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:20 pm

» Disqus Dumpster Diving!
by Breezey Bree Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:17 pm

» Fluffy biscuits
by Breezey Bree Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:28 pm

» The shut down of Disqus channels
by Breezey Bree Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:35 am

» Cappuccino Mix (Instant)
by Breezey Bree Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:36 am

» Songs I'd forgotten
by Breezey Bree Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:06 am

» Big Daddy Skillet
by Breezey Bree Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:30 am

» Amish Apple Dumplings Recipe
by Breezey Bree Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 am

A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food

3 posters

You are not connected. Please login or register

A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
This story doesn't revolve around leftovers on plates or half eaten things thrown away...even though that is a part of the food waste. This story revolves around a couple who chose to spend six months not buying food at the regular prices.. their food had to be what people chose to NOT sell for various reasons. Culled food, past the date on the label, just too much stock and whatever reasons others had that just wasn't really a good reason to waste perfectly good food. I watched the whole video and was really amazed and in shock at how much food goes to waste while it is said there isn't enough food to feed the hungry around the world.

A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food 52-1024x682

A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food 01-1024x682

A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food The-Food-Waste-Fiasco-e1425080199212-776x415

The pictures I used are from another person with a story of how so much food is wasted and what was done with a lot that was found and saved. Link here
https://robgreenfield.tv/foodwaste/

I hope you can find time to read the article and watch that movie. Both are really interesting and show just how much food others need to find ways of using instead of filling our land dumps with it.

Last edited by Tadewi on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food 1200px-Trashed_vegetables_in_Luxembourg

I can't see why at least 90% of this food isn't being used/eaten! Such a waste!

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
A true story about food waste and how a couple took a challenge to use wasted food Marketplacefoodwaste2

KieranT

KieranT
Site Mod
I couldn't watch the video as I was geoblocked, but there is a horrendous amount of food wasted unnecessarily.
Supermarkets in this country do now have a scheme where perfectly good food that may be at its use-by date is given to charities that distribute it to the needy, rather than it being binned as has happened in the past.
I find foods can safely go quite some way past the suggested use-by date. I know manufacturers have to be on the cautious side but it does mean a lot of food gets trashed that is perfectly useable.

Kath

Kath
Mover
Hi. I get very annoyed when I hear about food waste, as most of it is so unnecessary. The "Best before" or "use by" dates on apples really annoy me - they are one of the least perishable fruits and are perfectly fine ages after those arbitrary dates. I always look in the "reduced" fridge in Asda and I regularly buy stuff from there. Having gone through tough times when I was broke and living hand to mouth, I'm keen on using up leftovers and I really HATE wasting food. So unnecessary for supermarkets to do it, as they could literally give it away far more often than they do, rather than binning it.

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
KieranT wrote:I couldn't watch the video as I was geoblocked, but there is a horrendous amount of food wasted unnecessarily.
Supermarkets in this country do now have a scheme where perfectly good food that may be at its use-by date is given to charities that distribute it to the needy, rather than it being binned as has happened in the past.
I find foods can safely go quite some way past the suggested use-by date. I know manufacturers have to be on the cautious side but it does mean a lot of food gets trashed that is perfectly useable.

It might work to search the video on Youtube and try playing it. Often, that works for me when I cannot view videos posted.
This is the idea of the movie
"We all love food. As a society, we devour countless cooking shows, culinary magazines and foodie blogs. So how could we possibly be throwing nearly 50% of it in the trash? Filmmakers and food lovers, Jen and Grant, dive into the issue of food waste and pledge to quit grocery shopping and survive only on discarded food for 6 months. Featuring interviews with author, activist, and TED lecturer Tristram Stuart, food waste expert Dana Gunders, and acclaimed author Jonathan Bloom, JUST EAT IT looks at our systemic obsession with expiry dates, perfect produce and portion sizes, and reveals the core of this seemingly insignificant issue in a cinematic story that is both deliciously entertaining and truly shocking."

Many times, large amounts of food go to the trash, even before the expiration date is met.

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
Kath wrote:Hi. I get very annoyed when I hear about food waste, as most of it is so unnecessary. The "Best before" or "use by" dates on apples really annoy me - they are one of the least perishable fruits and are perfectly fine ages after those arbitrary dates. I always look in the "reduced" fridge in Asda and I regularly buy stuff from there. Having gone through tough times when I was broke and living hand to mouth, I'm keen on using up leftovers and I really HATE wasting food. So unnecessary for supermarkets to do it, as they could literally give it away far more often than they do, rather than binning it.

Hi Kath!
you are right about all the unnecessary food waste. Apples last quite well, especially if a person learns simple ways to store them for longer periods of time.
I too check the clearance and reduced sections and am really surprised at all I can get... many times, it's organic too!
Maybe stores feel that giving food away will hurt their sales of people actually buying food? I am just taking a guess.

Kath

Kath
Mover
Hiya. Yes you are probably right, or they would come up with some guff about being wary of giving away out of date food because they could get sued if someone fell sick - or said they did. But those photos of piles of obviously still eatable fruit and veg being chucked away do turn your stomach. I had a grumble at a friend the other day because she said she threw apples away when they were past their "best before" date, which seems very wasteful to me. But that particular friend doesn't do much cooking - if any - and the idea of maybe stewing her wrinkled apples would never have occurred to her. I ignore those "best before" dates and only take notice of the "use by" dates on meat and fish.

Breezey Bree

Breezey Bree
Site Mod
Kath wrote:Hiya. Yes you are probably right, or they would come up with some guff about being wary of giving away out of date food because they could get sued if someone fell sick - or said they did. But those photos of piles of obviously still eatable fruit and veg being chucked away do turn your stomach. I had a grumble at a friend the other day because she said she threw apples away when they were past their "best before" date, which seems very wasteful to me. But that particular friend doesn't do much cooking - if any - and the idea of maybe stewing her wrinkled apples would never have occurred to her. I ignore those "best before" dates and only take notice of the "use by" dates on meat and fish.

It's been pretty much proven that stores could easily donate their foods and have places and people sign a release of responsibility to stores. Like many things, people just don't check the credibility of what they are being told... I am talking about the store owners, managers, etc..
As for the apples... I am making apple sauce today. :)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]